Position Title: Communications Coordinator
Location: Office in St. Paul, MN, remote, or hybrid (U.S. based candidates only)
Compensation: $45,000 – $55,000; full-time with benefits and flexible work environment
Start Date: ASAP, no later than Jan 2023
Priority Application Deadline: September 20, 2022. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until
the position is filled.
Travel Required: travel likely for a few signature events each year
Position Summary: Join the growing team of the Monarch Joint Venture (MJV), a nonprofit dedicated to
conserving the monarch butterfly and its migration across the United States. The Communications
Coordinator supports the MJV through organization-wide communication initiatives. MJV’s primary
communications goal is to more prominently share the work and impacts of our science, habitat,
education, and partnership initiatives. They will be responsible for developing and maintaining
communications processes, and for coordinating, developing, and delivering communications assets and
Learn more about the mission, vision and values of the MJV on our website here.
● Communications Projects (50%) – Primary project manager for MJV communications that
engage our public audience and annual communications projects, with content development
support from the MJV Program Team and technical support from contractors or other staff. For
example: social media, MJV website, external facing communications (i.e. blog, newsletter, etc.),
annual webinar series, MJV handouts and printed materials, etc.
● Fund Development Communications Support (30%) – Working with Development and Program
staff, draft and edit grant applications and reports; provide project management for MJV Annual
Report; and support other development-related communications including donor appeals.
● Communications Strategy (10%) – Maintain a strategy for communications that aligns with and
supports MJV organizational goals and create and maintain an annual schedule for initiatives
● Relationship Management (10%) – Foster relationships with partner organizations, donors and
prospective donors, media contacts, funders, and other stakeholders.
● Other duties as assigned
● Experience – A minimum of 3 years of relevant experience; or a related degree with at least 2
years of relevant experience.
● Written Communication Skills – Demonstrated skills in writing and editing science content for a
variety of audiences.
● Coordination Experience – A demonstrated ability to effectively engage and organize various
stakeholders to accomplish common goals.
● Adaptability – Self-motivated ability to work independently and collaboratively with internal and
external stakeholders under general guidance from manager.
● Workload Management – Demonstrated ability to set and maintain manageable priorities and
forward progress for multiple responsibilities.
● Strategic Thinking – Demonstrated ability to think strategically about sustainability and growth of
the MJV’s initiatives.
● Problem Solving – Demonstrated ability to use critical thinking to seek out, identify, and
communicate solutions to challenges as they arise.
● Technology – Proficiency using Google Suite, Microsoft Office Suite, and other relevant
Preferred Experience (list based on platforms that we currently use):
● Adobe Creative Suites (InDesign, Illustrator, PremierePro)
● Social Media Management (Buffer, Meta Business Suite)
● Zoom and Vimeo Livestream
● YouTube and Vimeo
● Craft CMS
● Little Green Light and/or Salesforce
● Biological sciences experience
Equal Opportunity Employment: The Monarch Joint Venture (MJV) is an equal opportunity employer. As
such, MJV offers equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, gender, religion, age,
nationality, social or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status,
pregnancy, disability, veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. These opportunities
include all terms, conditions, and privileges of employment, including but not limited to recruiting,
hiring, job placement, training, compensation, benefits, discipline, advancement, and termination. All
employees are expected to adhere to this policy.
The Monarch Joint Venture is an at-will employer. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and
eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification
form upon hire.
How to Apply
● Submit a single PDF document titled “First Name Last Name_Communications Coordinator” that
1) Your resume (1-2 pages max please)
2) Responses to the following three prompts (NO COVER LETTERS will be accepted;
responses should not exceed five sentences per prompt):
● Describe how you would manage the various communications needs for a
growing organization (i.e. writing and editing; social media; video, photo, and
graphic content; brand management; media contacts; etc.)
● Describe a time that you faced failure or a problem you found challenging. What
were the steps you undertook to overcome the challenge or failed attempt?
● Describe the most rewarding communications project you have worked on –
what was the project, what was your role, why was it so rewarding?
3) A recent sample of your original communications work. Feel free to provide a link to a
blog, website, or portfolio, or attach a document with your application.
● Send application materials by email to email@example.com with the subject line
“Communications Coordinator Application”
What to Expect
Interviews will be conducted in two phases. Successful applications will first be invited to a brief
introductory interview by Zoom with a single MJV staff member. A second longer interview with multiple
staff will be invited for successful first interview candidates. We would ask for and contact references
following the second interview. While unlikely, a potential short third interview may be requested as
needed in final decision making. All candidates will be notified via email if their application is no longer